UPDATE: APPLICATIONS FOR THIS PROGRAM ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED.
The Manitoba government is launching a new wage subsidy program to support employers who hire high school and post-secondary students.
The program is open to employers from the private and not-for-profit sectors who employ students aged 15 to 29.
The provincial government will subsidize employers to hire up to 5 summer students from May 1 to Sept. 4.
Employers will receive a lump sum at the end of the summer when they provide proof of students’ wages. Employers can receive a reimbursement of $7 per hour up to a maximum of $5,000 per student.
Who Is Eligible?
The program is open to all private sector and non-profit employers operating in Manitoba.
Public sector employers are not eligible (public health, educational institutions, and municipal/provincial/federal governments and agencies and political parties).
Employers under this program cannot hire a member of their family for any positions for which they are requesting funding, and students hired must not displace any existing employees.
To qualify, employers must:
- Comply with all federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulatory requirements
- Provide appropriate supervision and training to each student, and follow Manitoba’s COVID-19 public health guidelines for the workplace
- Maintain complete and correct payroll, employment and accounting records, financial documents and other records for each student under this program
- Provide Manitoba with a signed student intake and consent form for every student hired under this program
Employers will receive payment within 14 days of submitting a claim for each eligible student employee.
Each claim package must:
- Set out the actual hourly wages paid by you to the student during the claim period including proof of payment
- Be submitted by October 1, 2020
Eligible Students must:
- Be a high school or post-secondary student aged 15 to 29 residing in Manitoba
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, international student, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment and
- Be legally entitled to work in Manitoba.
The student must be a new hire for the spring/summer months with a start date of May 1 or later.
Existing permanent or part-time employees are not eligible.
What If I’m Already Receiving A Wage Subsidy From The Government?
You cannot receive the Manitoba wage subsidy for any positions that are already being subsidized by the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy or Temporary Wage Subsidy. If you are receiving one of these subsidies already, the government recommends you apply to the Manitoba Summer Student Recovery Jobs Program for new/additional students only.
If you’d like to learn more about this or other COVID-19 programs for Canadian businesses, please call us at 1-800-265-1002 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Unlimited consultation related to tax matters is a key benefit of FBC Membership. You can also book an appointment.
Visit our COVID-19 Resource Centre for the latest information, advice and insights for small business owners.